— APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: JANUARY 15, 2017
- Is this program right for you?
- The application procedure; prerequisites & requirements
- You’re ready to apply
The Graduate Summer School (GSS) bridges the gap between a general graduate education in mathematics and the specific preparation necessary to do research on problems of current interest. In general, GSS applicants will have completed their first year of graduate school, and in some cases, may already be working on a thesis. While most GSS participants will be graduate students, recent PhDs may also be interested in applying to the GSS.
Applicants should be motivated students interested in the mathematical aspects of random matrix theory and related fields. This includes mathematically-inclined students from physics, computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, and related areas. Though familiarity with specific topics related to random matrix theory would be helpful, the formal prerequisites are limited to the content of standard introductory courses in linear algebra and probability (plus some familiarity with ODEs and PDEs will help).
Some mobility is expected between the Graduate Summer School and the Research Program in Mathematics, but postdoctoral scholars who are more than one year after receipt of their PhD should consider applying to the Research Program in Mathematics, not to the Graduate Summer School.
PCMI is using the web service MathPrograms.Org to receive and review applications for the 2017 PCMI Summer Session. See below for the link to the GSS application at MathPrograms.Org. Deadline for submission of applications is January 15, 2017. Supplemental materials (such as the required one letter of recommendation) must be received by January 22, 2017. You will receive a decision by March 15. Financial support is available—see the Financial Support section of the application.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE – Information & Requirements
Be sure to read the guidelines and requirements before accessing and completing the online application. Incomplete application portfolios cannot be viewed by the selection committee. You can email us with your questions.
- Applications are submitted and reviewed online using the web service MathPrograms.Org. Be sure that you use only the link below to apply.If you do not have an account at MathPrograms.org, you will login by filling in your email address and chosen password and the checkbox “this is my first login.” If you have a MathPrograms.Org account but are using a new email address, there is no need to create a new account; just login using the old email, and switch to the new email. Your login will take you to your My Portfolio page, where all of your application materials are stored.
- Your first step is to complete a Standard Coversheet for MathPrograms.Org. After you have created a Standard Coversheet you can then apply to the PCMI Graduate Summer School. Your Standard Coversheet also should include the name/s and email address/es of your reference writer/s. One letter of reference is REQUIRED (see below); you may submit up to two references in support of your application. You are advised to let your reference writers know about your request so they won't delete the email reference request as spam.
- Provide ONE Reference Letter (REQUIRED): On the application, fill in the checkbox for your reference writer from the names you entered on your Standard Coversheet, then click on the green arrow next to the reference writer’s name so the writer will receive your reference request by email. When notified, your writers will then receive login info and upload instructions to come to the MathPrograms.org site to upload their letters. If any of your references do not have access to a computer, they may submit the reference letter by mail or fax no later than January 22, 2017. The reference letter is necessary for your portfolio to be complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Provide your Curriculum Vitae/Resume (REQUIRED): Applicants must upload their CV to their online application. Your CV is necessary for your portfolio to be complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Provide an Abstracts and/or Reference Pages for your Preprint (OPTIONAL): Abstracts and reference pages can be uploaded during the online application process
YOU’RE READY TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM …
We recommend that you log in to your MathPrograms.Org account periodically and check your Status screen to make sure your application is complete or to update it (for example, to replace your CV or to send an email request to a reference writer). You may wish to bookmark the login page for that reason.
If you completed a Standard Coversheet and submitted an application for PCMI 2017 but did not receive a confirmation email, this is likely due to either
- Your email address was entered incorrectly on the Standard Coversheet, thus misdirecting the confirmation email message, or
- Your email server mistakenly handled the confirmation email as spam (check your spam folder!). If possible, add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your addressbook or whitelist to avoid the problem.
Questions? Problems? EMAIL PCMI staff and we will try to help.