— APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: February 1, 2017
Undergraduate mathematics majors and recent graduates interested in an intensive research experience in mathematics are encouraged to apply to the Undergraduate Summer School. Undergraduates at all levels as well as recent graduates will be considered. USS applicants who have taken undergraduate courses in multivariable calculus, linear algebra, probability theory, and real analysis will be best prepared for the introductory and advanced USS programs on Random Matrices.
PCMI is using the web service MathPrograms.Org to receive and review applications for the 2017 PCMI Summer Session. See below for the link to the USS application at MathPrograms.Org. Deadline for submission of applications is February 1, 2017. Supplemental materials should be received by PCMI by the application deadline—incomplete applications will not be considered by the selection committee. You will receive a decision in mid-February. In coordination with the Mathematical Sciences REU Common Reply Date, students who are invited to the USS program will not be required to accept or decline the offer until March 8 (or later). (Late applications may be considered at the discretion of the program organizers, but may receive lower priority for acceptance.)
Students who are accepted to the Undergraduate Summer School receive full funding from PCMI, including registration fee/meals, lodging, and travel allowance. USS participants who are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident receive a stipend of $1,100. (Due to National Science Foundation rules, USS participants must meet one of these criteria to be eligible for a stipend.)
Be sure to read the guidelines and requirements before accessing and completing the online application. Incomplete application portfolios will not be reviewed by the selection committee. You can email us with your questions.
- Applications are submitted and reviewed online using the web service MathPrograms.Org. Be sure that you use only the link below to apply. If you do not have an account at MathPrograms.org, you will login by filling in your email address and chosen password and the checkbox “this is my first login.” If you have a MathPrograms.Org account but are using a new email address, there is no need to create a new account; just login using the old email, and switch to the new email. Your login will take you to your My Portfolio page, where all of your application materials are stored.
- Your first step is to complete a Standard Coversheet for MathPrograms.Org. After you have created a Standard Coversheet you can then apply to the PCMI Undergraduate Summer School. Your Standard Coversheet also should include the name/s and email address/es of your reference writer/s. One reference letter is REQUIRED (see below); you may submit up to two references in support of your application. You are advised to let your reference writers know about your request so they won't delete the email reference request as spam.
- Provide ONE Reference Letter (REQUIRED): On the application, fill in the checkbox for your reference writer from the names you entered on your Standard Coversheet, then click on the green arrow next to the reference writer’s name so the writer will receive your reference request by email. When notified, your writers will then receive login info and upload instructions to come to the MathPrograms.org site to upload their letters. If any of your references do not have access to a computer, they may submit the reference letter by mail or fax no later than February 1, 2017. The reference letter is necessary for your portfolio to be complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Provide a copy of your Current Transcript (REQUIRED): This can be submitted online as an attachment to your application or via mail or fax no later than February 1, 2017. The transcript can be an unofficial copy if an official copy is not readily available.
- Provide your Curriculum Vitae/Resume (OPTIONAL). All applicants are encouraged to upload their CV to their online application.
We recommend that you log in to your MathPrograms.Org account periodically and check your Status screen to make sure your application is complete or to update it (for example, to add your current transcript or to send an email request to a reference writer). You may wish to bookmark the login page for that reason.
If you completed a Standard Coversheet and submitted an application for PCMI 2017 but did not receive a confirmation email, this is likely due to either
Your email address was entered incorrectly on the Standard Coversheet, thus misdirecting the confirmation email message, or
Your email server mistakenly handled the confirmation email as spam (check your spam folder!). If possible, add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book or whitelist to avoid the problem.
Questions? Problems? EMAIL PCMI staff and we will try to help.