— APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 15, 2018
- Is this program right for you? Description and prerequisites.
- Application procedure. Guidelines & requirements.
- You’re ready to apply. Link to GSS application.
The Graduate Summer School (GSS) bridges the gap between a general graduate education in mathematics and the specific preparation necessary to do research on problems of current interest. In general, GSS applicants will have completed their first year of graduate school, and in some cases, may already be working on a thesis. While most GSS participants will be graduate students, recent PhDs may also be interested in applying to the GSS. Some mobility is expected between the Graduate Summer School and the Research Program, but postdoctoral scholars who are more than one year after receipt of their PhD should apply to the Research Program, not to the Graduate Summer School.
GSS applicants should be motivated students interested in the mathematical aspects of harmonic analysis and related fields. Though familiarity with specific topics related to harmonic analysis would be helpful, the formal prerequisites for the GSS are a graduate-level course in real analysis as well as a comfort with advanced linear algebra. Additional prerequisites for individual courses include: geometric measure theory, partial differential equations, and probability theory.
PCMI is using the web service MathPrograms.Org to receive and review applications for the 2018 PCMI Summer Session. See below for the link to the GSS application at MathPrograms.Org. Deadline for submission of applications is January 15, 2018. Supplemental materials (such as the required one letter of recommendation and your CV) must be received by January 15, 2018—incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee. You will receive a decision by March 15. Financial support is available—see the Financial Support section of the application.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE – Guidelines & Requirements
Be sure to read the guidelines and requirements before accessing and completing the online application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee. You can email us with your questions.
- Applications are submitted and reviewed online using the web service MathPrograms.Org. Be sure that you use only the link below to apply. If you do not have an account at MathPrograms.org, you will login by filling in your email address and chosen password and the checkbox “this is my first login.” If you have a MathPrograms.Org account but are using a new email address, there is no need to create a new account; just login using the old email, and switch to the new email. Your login will take you to your My Portfolio page, where all of your application materials are stored.
- Your first step is to complete a Standard Coversheet for MathPrograms.Org. After you have created a Standard Coversheet you can then apply to the PCMI Graduate Summer School. Your Standard Coversheet also should include the name/s and email address/es of your reference writer/s. One letter of reference is REQUIRED (see below); you may submit up to two references in support of your application. You are advised to let your reference writers know about your request so they won't delete the email reference request as spam.
- Provide ONE Reference Letter (REQUIRED): On the application, fill in the checkbox for your reference writer from the names you entered on your Standard Coversheet, then click on the green arrow next to the reference writer’s name so the writer will receive your reference request by email. Your reference writer will then receive login info and upload instructions to come to the MathPrograms.org site to upload their letters. If any of your references do not have access to a computer, they may submit the reference letter by mail or fax no later than January 15, 2018. The reference letter is necessary for your application portfolio to be complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Provide your Curriculum Vitae/Resume (REQUIRED): Applicants must upload their CV to their online application. Your CV is necessary for your application portfolio to be complete. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the selection committee.
- Provide an Abstract and/or Reference Pages for your Preprint (OPTIONAL): Abstracts and reference pages can be uploaded during the online application process.
- The submission of your application is successful only if you see the "Thank you for your application" screen right after you click the Apply button at the bottom of the application form.
YOU’RE READY TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM …
We recommend that you log in to your MathPrograms.Org account periodically and check your Status screen to make sure your application is complete or to update it (for example, to replace your CV or to send an email request to a reference writer). You may wish to bookmark the login page for that reason.
If you completed a Standard Coversheet and submitted an application for PCMI 2018 but did not receive a confirmation email, this is likely due to either
Questions? Problems? EMAIL PCMI staff and we will try to help.